This position for an on call Medical Laboratory Technician or Medical Technologist for Kahuku Medical Center (KMC). KMC is a 21 bed Critical Access Hospital minutes from the North Shore of Oahu.
Under limited supervision, performs tests and studies on specimen to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease. Performs both waived and non-waived testing in in Clinical Chemistry, Blood Gas Analysis, Hematology, Microbiology, Blood Bank, Serology, and Clinical Microscopy which are authorized by the Clinical Laboratory Director in conjunction with the Technical Supervisor. Serves all age groups of patients, including neonates, pediatrics, adolescents, adults and geriatrics.
Each technologist will be assigned an area in the lab (i.e., hematology, chemistry, blood bank, coagulation, etc).
- The technologist is responsible for:
· employee training (new orientation or changes to current processes)
· annual competency
· instrument maintenance
· quality control
· proficiency testing
· Cerner generated reports for turnaround times, manual data entry, and other reports deemed relevant to the area.
· procedure maintenance, which includes development, revision, and review
o Responsible for the review of the procedures every two years
o Responsible for maintaining current references and modifies procedures based on latest laboratory information and/or modifications in the manufacturer’s package insert
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Follows the departmental procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
· If necessary, this will include performing patient phlebotomy
- Maintains records that demonstrate that proficiency test samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimen.
- Adheres to laboratory’s quality control policies, documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Follows the laboratory’s established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s defined acceptable levels of performance.
- Capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or immediately notify the laboratory general/technical supervisor or director.
- Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance characteristics.
- Maintains good relations with patients, medical staff, and other departments as well as other facilities that use laboratory services.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served.
- Enhances professional growth and development and maintains skills and knowledge through participation in educational programs, current literature, inservices, and workshops.
- Complies with all hospital and departmental policies and procedures, safety program requirements, corporate compliance program standards of conduct, all applicable statutes, rules and regulations.
- Successfully demonstrates competency in all areas of the lab through
· Written exam
· Unknown sample testing
· Proficiency testing
- Shows proficiency in logging laboratory specimen into “EHR” and LIS.
Demonstrates competency and proficiency in the use of Cerner modules throughout the lab and the hospital
· General Laboratory Module
o Includes order entry, sample receipt, entering test results manually, ensuring interface is on so the results will automatically transmit to the LIS.
o Maintains and enters Quality Control Lot numbers and acceptable ranges for each lot number into the Cerner QC module
· Blood Bank Module
· Microbiology Module, if applicable
· Clinical XR reporting
· PowerChart (hospital and ambulatory software versions)
- Partners with the laboratory assistant for submission of information for
•Peer Quality Control
- Maintains professional certification through continuing education in the various disciplines that are used at the Kahuku Laboratory.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Training / Educational / Experience Qualifications:
- State of Hawaii clinical technologist license is required.
- Work experience in all areas of the lab preferred
- Membership in a nationally recognized medical professional association preferred.
Physical, Communication, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Required to stand, walk and sit for prolonged periods of time.
- Continuous handling, fingering and eye-hand-foot coordination.
- Constant use of depth perception corrected and color vision.
- High levels of attention to detail, concentration, alertness needed, with frequent use of mathematical ability.
- Exposure to infection from disease-bearing specimens, to odorous chemicals and specimens.
- Subject to electrical hazards.
- Ability to handle emergency or crisis situations.
Please download and complete the APPLICATION FORM and submit it along with your resume: Incomplete applications will not be considered; if you have any questions, please contact the Human Resources, 808-293-6238.
Please email all Job applications here: HR@kmc-hi.org
** Allowed documents must be either be in .doc or .pdf format **